Why City Quest?
City Quest has taken feedback from racers and implemented it into our competition. We want participants to feel safe, learn about their city, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
This is a unique urban adventure that requires teams of two to exhibit teamwork, leverage technology, resourcefulness, determination, and the ability to make decisions on the fly as they search for City Quest challenges scattered in unknown locations throughout the city. Team and Family division participants will learn about their city, their teammate, and themselves as they enjoy a day of laughter, adventure, and discovery through a amazing urban adventure race experience!
All participants will receive a City Quest shirt, finishers medal (BLING!), food/drink specials at the start/finish line, water at the challenge stops, and there will be cash and prizes for top finishers and best costumes in each city!
The event starts with teams receiving a clue sheet detailing a variety of physical and intellectual challenges! Located throughout the city, these challenges will test mind, body, and spirit. To conquer this urban adventure race, teams will run, walk, and use public transit to navigate their way throughout city, while calling family and friends for help, accessing the Internet, and even employing assistance of total strangers. The first team to complete the City Quest challenges and cross the finish line wins!
- Teams are comprised of two members per team. There are two divisions: Adult and Family, a Family Team must have a child age 14 or under.
- Teams may travel by foot or public transit, which includes buses, trains, subways, and public trolleys. No taxis, bikes, skateboards, or roller blades are allowed.
- Teams are allowed to solve clues in any order they choose. Some teams solve all clues and map out a route before leaving the start line, while others prefer to solve clues en route.
- Teams are allowed to use friends or family to help solve clues.
- Teams will need a digital camera or phone with camera ability in case a clue involves pictures.
- The clock begins once the clue envelopes are opened, and times are recorded as teams cross the finish line.
- Penalties are given to teams who do not complete a challenge. Teams will receive a 20-minute penalty that will be added to their final time for each incomplete challenge.
- After penalty adjustments, teams with times longer than five hours will receive a DNF (did not finish).
- Winners of the team division will receive $500, family division $250.
Why We Are Different
In the crowded marketplace of road, adventure, and obstacle course races, it is crucial to have a savvy, well-seasoned team strategizing, coordinating, and hosting your racing efforts. We have taken feedback from contestants and our own experiences from previous races to implement fun and exciting improvements to our race. All of our races at City Quest are built on the same foundation: innovative challenges; meticulous attention to our racers needs; and having FUN!
Stephen Lytle, founder of City Quest, was a Track and Field athlete at the University of South Florida, but his competitive spirit had grown long before that. After graduating college Stephen would spend weekends exploring the city of Tampa, running competitive races, and enjoying time with friends. It wasn’t long before he came across the world of “Adventure Races” and after a few years of competing in these races he knew he could create a race that improved upon the old “take a selfie and run” model. In 2014 Stephen started planning an event that serves the contestants and the community. Out of that vision came “City Quest”.
City Quest will donate a portion of the proceeds from the entry fees to local non-profits in each city! We will also consider non-profits for a free challenge sponsorship. Is a challenge too hard? Are you going for the win and trying to save time? Are Soduku puzzles your kryptonite? Well contestants can pay a specific price to skip the challenge and all money collected from skipping that challenge will be donated to the specific non-profit. To request more information or that your organization be considered as one of our designated philanthropies or challenge sponsors please reach out to us via the contact page.